
I should really be studying my French… I’ve been dismally avoiding learning my verbs. The tenses astound me and I wonder how I ever managed to learn English! Surely French is more complicated! I’m such a poor student when it comes to the verbs. I’m trying to work on the vocab… I have all my little flashcards written up and continually have more to add to the stack. Vocab is fun, but verbs? Why they are just insufferable! How can I be such a poor French student and expect Leah and David to fly through their classes? That is why this week I decided we needed a break from the norm, and it just so happens that our chapter in science is about to sea. (Ok, so I’ve been secretly looking forward to this unit, ‘cuz it means field trips, and lots of them if I get my way!) We have been walking to the beach this week to poke around in the tide pools for sea creatures. We’re working on memorizing a poem on the way to the beach, then we have our history, science, and reading classes on the rocks, search out the tide pools for quite awhile, and then head back home while we work on spelling. The kids are excited to get away from the schoolroom and have been getting up early to work on math and language before we go. They even endure a hot 40 minute walk just to get to the beach. We’ve found sea anemones, sea urchins, lots of crabs, and a plethora of other sea life. Today while we were there, we watched someone dive for sea urchins. It looked like great fun! Only the thought of eating them was highly unappealing to me. Ok, I really must get back to the verbs. No complaints though- my tutor Elizabeth is very sweet and patient with me. I am so grateful for her help and for sticking with me even as I forget silly things and butcher her language with my poor accent.
(Picture of Leah in our open air classroom)
4 comments:
Oh goody. A new blog. I think Dabney would love to go to your school. Uncle John, too. He loves the beach. Aunt Pat
Wow what fun. It takes me back to high school days when our free time and occasional weekends were roaming the mid-coast of Maine(on the other side of your ocean). Enjoy. Each day is a gift from God. Love, Dad
I would love to be there with you it sounds so warm. It was 11 here today and we are to get a big ice storm tonight. I hope that it will hold off a little as we are to have a 1/2 of school tomorrow and then I was going to grandmas to help her get ready for Christmas. Have a great week Love Aunt Ruth
I wish I could go to YOUR school... school at the beach sounds like my kinda thing!... What an interesting life these kids are growing up with!
Post a Comment