Monday, December 15, 2008

All these gorgeous, sunny days make me feel so far from home when I read about the icy weather that has descended upon New England. You all have made me very thankful that when our power goes out we are never suffering from cold or fear of pipes freezing. And we don’t lose our water! Yesterday afternoon I had a lovely lunch with the Kings and took a walk with Joanne, (she’s here to help start an internet cafĂ©). We walked down an incredibly busy beach. We truly felt out of place in that crowded scene and realized why we always spend our Sunday afternoons on the “Lebanese” beach where we can find some peace and quiet. Farewells were exchanged as Joanne leaves for home today, but I am excited to know that she will be returning at the end of January. After our beach trek, I got home just in time for the ladies Christmas party. There were about 25 ladies who came over for a fun afternoon of food and games. And, boy was I ever caught off guard when they started pouring into the kitchen with plates piled high of pizza, cookies, and bread and watched them grab plastic wrap, Ziploc bags, and spare containers and load them up with food! I was standing there in shocked amazement. Even some of the ladies who I would have considered more “proper” were coming in to sneak food away- only they were prepared- they had brought their own baggies. They then proceeded to open the cupboards to hide their stash in. I decided I would be the guardian of the kitchen and I just stayed in there until there was no more food for them to take. Becky came in and just laughed when I told her. “Why do you think the counter is so clean?” she asked. She was well aware of their voracious nature and had hid all the potatoes, onions, and any extra food that is usually out. We played a couple of games and had gifts for them. It was a good time and I think they had a lot of fun.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow!! I can't imagine trying to run a store there. Thanks for letting us see a side of entertaining there Mom

Anonymous said...

At first reading, I could not think of a positive comment. That would be really different from here, as you think kids might do that but not ladies. You did your part(I would have been right there with you), and from Becky's reaction, she sounds like a veteran. May your other parties be equally festive. Smile. We love you. Aunt Pat

LizziAnne said...

Weird, I thought I already posted on a few of these, but now they are not there- perhaps you deleted them?! Hehe. Oh well. Anyway... I can just imagine your face Cheese as these women were going through and taking stuff, and I can see you standing there blocking the door... ahhhh- i miss you!... You know Id be there with my tupperware ready to load up! :) haha.