The tailor has just been making his rounds here- he walks around with his sewing machine and clinks his scissors together so you know he's near. There are great conveniences here, such as having a tailor drop by your house to do some mending, and then strange inconveniences. I was at our little store here buying something last week and instead of getting change back they gave me chocolate bars. There is an apparent lack of money in this city, so most of the time you don't get change back, you either get store credit for next time (they just tell you this, you must remember to remind them next time you're in!) or they give you a "gift" that is probably not worth the value of what you were owed. But I have to say, I just laughed when they handed over the chocolate- who's going to say "no" to that?
Sunday, November 9, 2008
The tailor has just been making his rounds here- he walks around with his sewing machine and clinks his scissors together so you know he's near. There are great conveniences here, such as having a tailor drop by your house to do some mending, and then strange inconveniences. I was at our little store here buying something last week and instead of getting change back they gave me chocolate bars. There is an apparent lack of money in this city, so most of the time you don't get change back, you either get store credit for next time (they just tell you this, you must remember to remind them next time you're in!) or they give you a "gift" that is probably not worth the value of what you were owed. But I have to say, I just laughed when they handed over the chocolate- who's going to say "no" to that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Melissa I have enjoyed reading about your travels. The beach looks ao beautiful, it was in the 20's here this morning.
Have a great week
Love Aunt Ruth
I wish they would adapt this candy for change in the US. Forget the pennies, I want M&M's! Yumm. This is happening in other places around the world.
i dont know whether to laugh or what... its kinda sad. but youre right- chocolate should never be turned down!...
p.s. love the picture.
Post a Comment