Monday, November 3, 2008

Happy Halloween!

In the spirit of Halloween, we threw the kids a harvest party this weekend. It wasn't extravagant by any means but it was fun and the kids enjoyed dressing up for it. There's Prisca on the left- She was a cat... I think :) The older kids helped the younger ones dress up, and they got quite creative- from Pipi Longstocking and cowboys to gypsies and pirates. The kids enjoyed a water balloon toss, a three legged race, and bobbing for apples. I spent the morning in the kitchen making snacks for the party, and let me tell you, I have a new respect for Noelle, our cook, who spends long days in there preparing our food. It was so hot!

The first week I was hear I loved waking up every morning to the exotic birds that sang their wild, jungle songs. It was like that setting on some alarm clocks- you can choose which sound to wake up to. But so much more beautiful. I think I'm getting used to them now though, 'cuz I don't notice them like I did. But there is a lovely goat nearby this morning, and I can not ignore his call. It just makes me smile and laugh :) The noises here are certainly not our normal city noises- they are of neighbors sweeping away the continual layer of dust, of the heavy pounding rain on the tin roof at three in the morning, the clatter of cooking over an open fire and babies crying nearby. They are becoming very comforting, beautiful sounds to fall asleep to and wake up with.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would love to see your birds. Can you take a picture of them? You are so good at describing things. I can almost see them (except for the birds). Ha. Love, Aunt Pat

Anonymous said...

OH! I can hear all those things you described so well! And I WANT one of those alarm clocks! I just told Lee that there must be an alarm clock that plays birds singing. I miss hearing the outside sounds now that the windows are closed.
You are a great writer - but then that's not surprising either. ;)
Yesterday I found MANY cds on top of other cds and I told your Mom that you probably kept up with that more than we realized. ;) So I'll think of you when I'm fixing them! Love, Glo

LizziAnne said...

You couldnt ignore the goat call eh? Doesnt surprise me :) lol. Sounds so freeing to be there- free to just -be- every now and then (at least when the kids arent around! :)). Love your blogging! Keep it up!