Monday, October 27, 2008

San Pedro


The ride from Abidjan to San Pedro was about five hours, but it didn't really seem that long. It was a nice chance to get to know Becky and Andy a little bit more and learn about the country. After a couple of hours, we came upon a little village and Andy pulled the car to the side of the road where people were selling food. They rush right up to the car with their hot food and cold drinks- that's what I call fast food! In Abidjan, everytime you stopped or were driving slow the people were right by the car. I tend to ignore sales techniques like that but Becky was like "oh, that's nice, oh what about that?" I mean really looking at the stuff. Andy called it Walmart on feet- the same stuff you could get in a store there but much cheaper.
We arrived in San Pedro to kids who were very excited to see their parents after several days. Leah is 11, David is 10, Nadia is 8, Lexie is 6, Prisca is 4, and Hadassah is 3. They are every bit as friendly and sweet as their parents, and it has been fun getting to know them. School is going well. I'm doing Science and History with Leah and David and helping Nadia and Lexie with their reading. Prisca loves to do school and is always eager to work on her little workbook.
Becky's sister lives in San Pedro as well. It has been fun getting to know her family of 11 kids. We see them quite often. Last week we took a day off school and had a picnic. I think I'm still recovering from all the running around I did with the kids. :)
Here's a little look into life around here- yesterday at church one of the women was in a panic because she couldn't find her baby. Becky dashed out to help her look and they finally found her roaming around in the street. There was a lot of concern, not because the baby was toddling around in the road where she might get hit by a car, but because apparently there are elections coming up here soon and it is a dangerous time for kids to be alone. People kidnap them and offer them as sacrifices in petition for whoever they want to win the election. I don't feel like I'm really in "deepest, darkest Africa", but when I hear things like that I realize that maybe I am. They say the missionary kids aren't in any danger and they would only take black children...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a delight to see a picture.
Thanks for keeping us up on the happenings!!! Your blogs are very interesting!!! YOu do a great job.
Mom

LizziAnne said...

Wow- how crazy to think that they have to fear such things. I would be a mess knowing that. Actually, youre making me a mess telling me that kinda stuff!! I fear for you!- Dont let anyone kidnap YOU my friend :) lol. And well, 17 kids hanging from you- I fear for THAT too!... Good LUCK.