Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Cheltenham


My next morning in Cheltenham I set out to find the Cotswold way (it's a 120 mile footpath through one of the prettiest parts of the English Countryside). After asking about 3 people for directions, I set off down this grassy path... and promptly fell flat on my face. And I really do mean ON my face. The mud was so slippery that I fell face first into the dewy grass. I should have taken that as a really good indicator of what was to come, but I was so determined to hike this path that after several attempts, I got back on my feet again. Through the grassy fields I hiked, past the cows and horses, bunnies and pheasants, until I was determined I was headed in the wrong direction. A lady from one of the farms emerged at that point and set me on the right way again. Up, Up, Up I climed until I had an excellent view of the city below. It was so very beautiful. And my feet were so very wet. I soon discovered that I was on the Cheltenham Circular Path, which after just a few moments proved itself true. I was headed back down to the city without the Cotswold Path in sight. But by this time, with my shoes sloshing in water I almost didn't mind. Near the end of the trail I was greeted by a very excited puppy who proceeded to wipe his nasty, muddy paws ALL over me. I gladly returned to my hotel to get cleaned up.
That afternoon I traveled to Bourton-on-the-Water. Very quaint town, also very touristy. A little river flows through the center of town and 4 stone bridges cross the it. Every building is made from the Cotswold stone- a golden earthy color.
Well, I've got to run. Becky and I are heading out on our morning walk. More later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HiMelissa!
Just love hearing about all your adventures! So what brings you there? Sounds like a marvelous time and experience! Praying for you with regards to God's protection and provision. Enjoy your stay. By the way, how long is your stay? Thanks for sending pics of Nate and Ivy's wedding. It must have been a great day! Take care. Write when you can. Don't apologize for the long blogs, they're just great! Much love&blessings, Cousin Deb

Anonymous said...

Missy, somehow I overlooked your last two blogs. I was so excited to read them. Can't wait to hear about Africa. You are like Dab, your blogs are in order. I will sign this Mom (my name on Dab's blog), but know I am Aunt Pat. Love you