Saturday, October 25, 2008

Oxford


The next part of my journey was to travel to Oxford to meet up with Dabney again. The trip from Cheltenham to the Wycliffe UK centre in High Wycombe took nearly an entire day to accomplish. It was a bit exhausting and even though the ride was beautiful through the rolling countryside, I was frustrated with the slow pace of travel. I had arranged to stay at the Wycliffe Centre based upon the lovely accomodations of the Wycliffe USA headquarters in Orlando Florida. But also because I thought if I was going to stay someplace I wanted to support a ministry like Wycliffe. Well, it turned out to be farther from Oxford than my MapQuest estimation led me to believe, and it was definately a hostel-like arragement. But there was a laundry room and a computer room, and that almost made up for the not-so-nice bedroom. I kept telling myself three nights in this place was just preparing me for living in Africa, however, my room here is much nicer than that place.
So the next day was Friday and I assumed Dabney would be busy with school, so I spent the afternoon wandering around Oxford- by Christ College, the river, explored a couple museums. It was an exquisitely beautiful autumn day. The sky was blue and the sun was blissfully warm. I met Dabney late that afternoon and we had dinner at the Eagle and Child. Of course, the now famed haunt of the Inklings- C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, etc. It was a wonderful time to relax and rest and the food was ever so yummy! Courgette (or zucchini) soup- you'll have to try it sometime. It turned out Dabney didn't have any school that day except a quick meeting with one of her tutors. I was kind of sad to have really missed out on the whole day with her, especially since the last bus to my town left early that evening. But I looked forward to the spending all of Saturday with her. In fact I was so determined I told her I would meet her at 8 o'clock the next morning at her bus stop.
So, Saturday morning I forgot to set my alarm and woke up in a panic rushing around to get to the bus stop in time. I made it with time to spare and took it to the next town where had to change buses to catch the one for Oxford. I waited.... and waited... and waited... and waited. Let me tell you, I had poured over these bus schedules making sure I knew exactly what I was doing. There were about three bus companies that traveled to Oxford, all with various schedules and different weekday/Saturday/Sunday schedules. But I knew I had it figured right, I just couldn't understand where my bus was and what to do!
After waiting for 40 minutes in the deep fog and waiting for either the sun to break through or my bus to come, I couldn't take the cold any longer. All I could think about was how much I wanted a pair of mittens. And it wasn't the first time I had longed for them on this trip. It was dreadfully cold and foggy and I was trying very hard not to dispair over my lost bus. The town was very tiny, but there was a shop just up the road. I walked up to it to ask where I could find a pay phone and was overwhelmed with the scent of fresh bread. My fingers were so cold they could barely pick up the steaming hot, flaky bread filled with chocolate. That delicious treat almost made up for the missing bus, but not quite. I was filled with terrible guilt imagining Dabney waiting and waiting and waiting for me on the other end. I tried to call her, but I didn't have her number, and my attempts with the operator where futile. All I knew was that she was at the Vines in Oxford. Not much to go on. I decided my only chance for another bus would be in 2 hours when the next one was to come through. So I wandered the tiny town until I found a church. Never has a church been such a sanctuary as that one was. All the churches in England always seem to have open doors and usually no one is ever around, they are just there as silent havens of peace. And that was just what I needed. Though it was stone and not heated it kept the chill at bay and was a quiet place to meditate and read- well quiet even with the rector pounding away on something somewhere. And though his voice was heard, he respected a reverent peace with no presence acknowledged.
I returned to my post by the bus stop and sure enough 2 hours later, there came a bus. As I asked the bus driver about the missing previous bus, he looked quite confused, took my schedule and finally declared that "NO, that bus doesn't run anymore. I'm the first bus of the day. You have an old schedule." How was I to know it had changed since May when it was published.
I finally made it to Gypsy Lane where I was supposed to meet Dabney. I was glad to see she wasn't still waiting for me, but I didn't have a clue where she was. I walked up and down Gypsy Lane, asked countless people if they knew where "The Vines" was. I knew I was close but just couldn't figure it out. After a half hour I knew I had to do something more than wander and wait. Some college on the Lane was starting freshman orientation that day, so I pretended I was a student and asked my way to the computer lab where I got a girl to let me use her computer find the address of Dabney's home. Sure enough not only did I find it, but the girl gave me directions. What a beautiful feeling to wander down lovely Pullens Lane knowing that I was finally on my way, in the right direction. But I was more estatic to discover that Dabney was indeed home. Another joyful reunion! :) What a gorgeous place to study and live! The Vines is a home about a century old and it's set back on a quiet lane on the outskirts of the heart of the university. Which is a nice was of saying that Dabney's walk to class is quiet the trek. But what a lovely ramble through neighborhoods and parks by rivers and streams. Truly unique, truly Oxford, and truly inspiring. She took me by Wycliffe Hall, the college that hosting her group, and into the city. The we decided the embrace the Oxford experience in full, and hired someone to punt us down the river (the Thames or Charwell, not really sure which one). We enjoyed a very relaxing lunch as we watched a rugby team at practice and laughed at the other amateur punters bump into our boat (probably has a more academic term than that :).
After that we toured the Botanical Gardens right by the river. We found Tolkien's favorite tree, Dabney posed for even more pictures, and it was nice just to drink in the beauty of a day that turned out to be more beautiful than I ever imagined it to be when I was shivering in the cold early that morning. After that we wandered across the street to Magdalen College where we wandered in awe of the great inspiration before us. That which has inspired C.S. Lewis and his fellows. It is a truly amazing place, the whole city is, but to finally be within the bounds of a college that is part of the university and think about all the academics who have walked these hallowed cloistered halls before you... well, it's just really cool. There is a deer park on the property and we walked between it and the river for aways. I could see so many things that would have inspired Lewis and Tolkien and Charles Dodgson. After that it was time for cream tea. YUM! Then it was sad goodbyes to Dabney. I am so gratful for all the kind English people who endured my questions, chatted with me during bus rides, and helped me find my way when I was lost. I loved hearing the stories they shared and I am indebted to their kind encouragement along the way. I am especially thankful for Dabney and her gracious spirit as I was always lost and running late, for being so patient with me and being my pack mule in London. :) Thanks Dabney- for everything!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Missy, I am sorry for your missed bus and travel woes. I know you aren't complaining, but it makes one realize how different it must be to travel when you are not leaving from home, in your vehicle, with your cell phone. Thankfully God helped you have a sweet spirit and guided you through. I love your blogs. Aunt Pat

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your blogs too! Keep them coming! I'm thinking about you, especially as it gets cooler here, knowing you are nice and toasty, at least now that you are out of England!
Kristen