Sunday, January 25, 2009

Market Days


Here's a funny story from the weekend...
Saturday, in an attempt to get some exercise, Becky, Leah, David, Steven (a cousin), and I walked to the Big Market. Well, that is, we walked until the kids got tired and then we all piled into a taxi that already had two people in it. So there we were, all eight of us: Steven was in the front seat squished next to a strange man and Leah and David sat on our laps. We tumbled out of the taxi at the big market, shopped for about 10 minutes, and were looking over the avacados, when I looked up to see people RUNNING down the street. I didn't particulary want to join the panic, so I stayed put. Then everyone all around us started to join in the stampede.
Well, I must have had that movie "African Queen" on my mind, because while any normal person would assume they were running from madmen with guns, I was just standing there wondering if there was a giant cloud of bugs on the horizon, or perhaps an enormous dust storm about to roll in. The stampede increased in frenzy and we hurried to find a taxi and booked it out of the market just as our eyes and throats started to sting.
The big market, (I call it big, because there is a "little" market closer to our home that sells only fruits and vegetables), is located on the edge of a shanty town. I think I have written about it before. The people are all squatters living on land that does not belong to them, in homes made of bits and pieces of wood. The mayor had demanded that all the squatters move out and that homes be built out of brick or concrete. This is in an effort to reduce the fire hazard that all those wooden homes squished so tightly together pose. On our way to the maket that day, I did notice a rather large crowd that seemed unusual. As it turned out, the police were trying to tear down some homes and the people were protesting and refused to let them, so the police unleashed the pepper spray on the crowd. And it sure seemed to have its desired affect. It's a bit nerve racking to see hundred of people booking it down the street.
Awhile later that day, closer to home we were still out shopping and I again noticed people running down the street... only this time Becky was quick to point out that they were not running for their lives, they were taking part in a marathon-like race. Now that's the kind of running I prefer to see!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle at your descriptions of the running. I never once thought that it might be serious. I do remember the bugs on the "African Queen." Such a great movie (to watch). Love you, Aunt Pat

Anonymous said...

It must be hard to not understand what they are talking about,(well I forgot maybe you do) but still to figure out what they are upset about in a hurry must be a challenge. Love you bunches mom

LizziAnne said...

jeez. so many experiences that i just cannot even imagine. i think i know now why i have barely traveled out of my Boonton radius for very long! :) lol. Love ya buddy!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to get to see the Ivory Coast through your eyes. In the past couple of years, I've seen Spain, Mexico and Honduras through Ivy and Gwen (her bridesmaid)and enjoyed every tidbit of adventure that they experienced. It's so wonderful that you all can share the things that you are doing like this. If I were 25 years younger I'd love to do the same! Looking forward to your next blog. Jill, Nate's mom-in-law