Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vacation


I just got back from a lovely vacation on the beach in Assini, just several miles west of Ghana. It was so wonderful to get out of San Pedro for just a little bit and have the opportunity to see more of this beautiful country. If I thought the fruit was abundant here, I was astounded by the wealth of coconuts and pineapples that lined the beaches of Assini. We stayed right on the beach, mere yards from the crashing waves. We could watch the fishermen below us from dawn to dusk as they mended nets and sailed their boats through the pounding waves. The beach was a well traveled road as women walked to and from everyday carrying a various assortment of items atop their heads. We were there three days, and spent one luxurious afternoon at a resort nearby with a pool. All these places are reminiscent of the days before the coups in Cote d’Ivoire, less than a decade ago. My favorite part of the trip was the evening we rented dune buggies and got to zip along the beach and for once drive FAST! I never thought I would seriously view the beach as a highway, but with all the pot holes and bumpy roads, travel is slow around here, and it was exciting to have a stretch of ‘road’ smooth and straight! We also did a little off-roading through a field as we chased the sunset… only the sunset beat us! But it was still pretty! Well, enough words, I’ll let the pictures tell the rest of the adventure.
and this second album is road trip pictures from Abidjan to San Pedro

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. Your mom sent me the first set of pics so I have had time to digest them. Loved the ones from your road trip. It is so hard to believe you are seeing all of this. So different and unique. I am thrilled for you. How nice for Steve and Gayle to take you and Joanne to such a special place. Miss you. Aunt Pat

LizziAnne said...

How much fun the dune buggies must have been!... Sounds like you had a much needed GREAT vacation! Love all the pictures!